Monday, January 19, 2009

New-look paperbacks

For nearly a decade Peter Sutton, Fred van Deelen and Richard Carr have collaborated with me to design the covers of the Roman Mysteries. Collectors will be happy to hear that we will be using their designs for all seventeen of the main Roman Mysteries, and the collection of Mini-Mysteries called Trimalchio's Feast.

But now Orion have decided to give future paperbacks a new look. By a happy coincidence one of the artists involved is an old friend of mine, Patrick Knowles. Patrick commissioned Larry Rostant to execute illustrations based on extracts from the novels. Then Patrick came up with the type and final design. I am thrilled with the four covers I've seen so far and can't wait to see the rest. Here is a sneak preview of what you can find in the bookstores from May 2009. I especially like this cinematic view of Nubia in an exciting scene near the end of The Pirates of Pompeii. Euge. (Yay.)

2 comments:

  1. I think the new covers are great and think they'll appeal to an older reader. I really like reading and collecting the hardbacks so I think I still prefer the existing ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry. All 17 books in the series will be published with the 'old' covers in hardback. I love these new ones though, and can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete